Must-See Festivals around the World
Collected by Kristin Rust , AFAR Local Expert
From going tribal in Papau New Guinea to the Holi Festival in Shiwar, India, here are some of the world's seriously must-see festivals.
Harbin, Heilongjiang, China
My ideal habitat is a warm day on a tropical beach. I'm also a sucker for beauty in all its most unusual forms (part of the reason I'm on the Board of Burning Man). So, when I heard about the Harbin International Ice & Snow Festival in northeast...
Kampung Selayang Permai, 68100 Batu Caves, Selangor, Malaysia
Landing in heat-soaked Kuala Lumpur after being on the road for 24 hours can be disorienting. Incessant chanting (“vei vel shakti vel”), monkeys screeching, wafting incense, a glorious moon, and a million people. Thaipusam falls on a full moon and...
Sycamore Building, Sycamore Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2, Co. Dublin, Ireland
A fanciful three-week celebration of the arts, Fringe has been an annual asylum for artistic oddballs since 1994. Nearly 650 productions— theater, dance, poetry, magic, outdoor installations—enliven venues all over Dublin. 353/(0) 1-670-6106....
Pariser Platz, 10117 Berlin, Germany
- 1 Tips + News Americans Have Traveled to Mexico Throughout COVID
- 2 Tips + News California’s Lockdown: What Travelers Need to Know
- 3 Visas + Passports Germany Now Has the Most Powerful Passport in the World
- 4 Tips + News When Will We Travel Abroad Again?
- 5 Tips + News Requiring a COVID Vaccine for Travel Is Discriminatory, Tourism Group Says