Cabins, Yurts, and Huts—Tiny Spaces Off the Grid
Collected by Afar Magazine
Sometimes going small is the best way to travel big—especially if that means an overnight in a covered wagon, or a nest in the trees.
216 Okuti Valley Rd, Okuti Valley 7591, New Zealand
A farm-style experience about an hour from Christchurch, Okuti Garden caters to travelers who love to create and play. An art box encourages crafting; “tree circles” are great for yoga and meditation; and a small lake features a boat...
71895 CA-1, Big Sur, CA 93920, USA
For such a remote region, Big Sur has more than its share of amazing places to stay. One of the most unique is Treebones Resort, nestled high in the foothills of South Big Sur overlooking the Pacific. The off-the-grid property offers 16 signature...
52068 W Fork Rd #38, Dolores, CO 81323, USA
Among the most lauded hotel openings in recent years, Dunton Hot Springs is a glitterati mainstay, with its batch of former mining community cabins that look straight out of a Ralph Lauren catalogue. You don’t have to book a pricey stay at this...
El Chaltén, Santa Cruz Province, Argentina
The small town of El Chalten in southern Patagonia has been called the trekking capital of the world due to its proximity to Mt. Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre, two of South America’s most rugged peaks. It’s also the jumping-off point to reach Aguas...
Whitewater, WI, WI, USA
If these cabins could talk, their stories would reveal tales of prohibition, Polish immigrants, and Latvian priests. Rustic cabins, canvas tents, and a teepee now showcase a jumble of old books, antique lanterns, and the odd chipmunk. Guests can...
- 1 Outdoor Adventure 4 Reasons Why Tohoku, Japan Should Be Your Next International Trip Sponsored by Japan National Tourism Organization
- 2 History + Culture What’s in a Name? Why Turkey Is Now Türkiye
- 3 Hotels Get Paid to Stay at Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Around the World for a Year
- 4 Visas + Passports United Arab Emirates Now Has the Most Powerful Passport in the World
- 5 Air Travel Why European Airlines Are Flying Empty Planes