During your next visit to Portland, try this lighthouse driving tour and see up to six lights in a little under two hours!
1. From State Street in Portland, take the Casco Bay Bridge & follow Route 77 South toward Cape Elizabeth.
2. Approximately 1 mile south of Cape Elizabeth’s town center, turn left at the sign for Two Lights State Park & follow to the lighthouses. Both are on private property, but you can get a good view of them from the park.
3. Retrace your steps back to Route 77 in Cape Elizabeth, turn right on Route 77 & follow to the town center, then turn right onto Shore Rd.
4. Follow Shore Rd 3 miles, turn right at the sign for Ft Williams & follow the road to the end to Portland Head Light. Observe Ram Island Light at the entrance to Portland Harbor off Portland Head.
6. Retrace your route back out to Shore Road & turn right, then veer right again onto Preble Street (at the Irving Station). Follow Preble Street through Willard Square approximately 1/2 mile, turn right onto Fort Road & follow to the campus of the Southern Maine Community College.
8. Drive through the campus to the Portland Harbor Museum, & walk along the granite wall to Spring Point Ledge Light.
9. Exit the campus, and turn right onto Breakwater Dr. Turn right again at a stop sign onto Madison St.
10. Keeping the breakwater on your right to Bug Light at the end of the road. You can park your car & walk out on the short breakwater to the lighthouse.