Insider tips for Istanbul
Collected by Leeann Murphy , AFAR Local Expert
How to navigate taxicabs, ticket lines, and bazaars... and to enjoy the four-footed visitors to your cafe table.
Beyazıt, Kalpakçılar Cd. No:22, 34126 Fatih/İstanbul, Turkey
Soon after conquering Constantinople and defeating the Byzantines in 1453, Ottoman Sultan Mehmet II commissioned the beginnings of the Grand Bazaar to reinvigorate trade with the city. More than 550 years later, the bazaar is one of the oldest...
Beyoğlu, the heart of contemporary Istanbul, is the city’s most popular entertainment, art, shopping, and nightlife district. Bisecting the area is the pedestrianized Istiklal Caddesi lined with cafés and shops that attract over three million...
Divan Yolu Cd., Fatih/İstanbul, Turkey
Travel from Europe to Asia for 2.15TL? Yes you can—with an Istanbulkart aboard a Bosporus ferry. If you’re planning to use public transportation in Istanbul, then it pays to buy an Istanbulkart. The swipe card provides discounted fares for...
If you plan to conquer Istanbul in 72 hours or less, then you might like to check out the feasibility of buying the 85TL Museum Pass. The pass gives you queue-jumping privileges and discounts on some museums, attractions, and tours around town for...
- 1 Travel for Good Hawai‘i Is Not Our Playground
- 2 Books Airbnb Lists a House Fit for Winnie-the-Pooh in the Original Hundred Acre Wood
- 3 Air Travel Are Surgical Masks Safer Than Cloth Masks on Planes?
- 4 COVID + Travel These Hawai‘i, Caribbean, and New York Hotels Now Require Vaccination
- 5 COVID + Travel Vaccine Passports Are Getting a Bit Easier to Obtain—Here’s How to Get One