Where to Get off the Beaten Path in Greece
Collected by Candice Walsh , AFAR Local Expert
To get off the beaten path in Greece, all you have to do is venture to the lesser-known towns and islands and immerse yourself in the cultures found there. The Northern Aegean, in particular, offers hospitality, romance, and breathtaking scenery under a warm Mediterranean sun. Despite Greece being a popular destination, it's surprisingly easy to find you've wandered a little off course, and into the welcoming arms of new friends.
Mitilini 811 00, Greece
Lesvos isn't typically on a traveler's list, but the large island is worth visiting for its traditional lifestyle and year-round busy towns. Mytilini is the capital, and is largely driven by its busy student population. The restaurants and cafes...
Paxos, Paxi 490 82, Greece
If you're looking to move away from the popular Cycladic islands, head to the Ionian Sea. Besides the busy hub of Corfu, there's also Paxos, a small island surrounded by turquoise sea, beautiful caves, and idyllic villages. Rumour has it that...
Hydra, Idra 180 40, Greece
If you dream of a tranquil island free from traffic and the din of human activity, where donkeys are the only means of transportation, Hydra is it. Beautiful Mediterranean waters, cobbled streets, and preserved architecture makes Hydra an idyllic...
- 1 Travel for Good Hawai‘i Is Not Our Playground
- 2 Air Travel Are Surgical Masks Safer Than Cloth Masks on Planes?
- 3 COVID + Travel These Hawai‘i, Caribbean, and New York Hotels Now Require Vaccination
- 4 COVID + Travel Vaccine Passports Are Getting a Bit Easier to Obtain—Here’s How to Get One
- 5 Museums + Galleries The Immersive Dr. Seuss Experience Is Coming to Chicago