Tokyo's Top Architecture
Collected by Erin Bogar, AFAR Local Expert
Tokyo combines ultramodern and ancient architecture with elegance and ease.
3 Chome-5-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tōkyō-to 100-0005, Japan
9 Chome-7-1 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tōkyō-to 107-0052, Japan
7-9 Uguisudanichō, Shibuya-ku, Tōkyō-to 150-0032, Japan
Japanese architects clearly have a thing for spaceships; perhaps it’s the heavy anime/manga influence they’ve been inundated with since childhood, but whatever the reason many buildings in Tokyo abound with sci-fi accents and flair. A neat example...
２丁目-4-8 Daiba, Minato-ku, Tōkyō-to 135-0091, Japan
Tokyo’s modern design and architecture embraces originality. Odaiba houses many of Tokyo’s ultramodern structures most notably Fuji TV Building, resembling an erector set with its steel geometric design and Tokyo Big Sight, reminiscent of an alien...
4 Chome-2-８ Shibakōen, Minato-ku, Tōkyō-to 105-0011, Japan
The orange and white Eiffel Tower replica stands nine meters taller than its Parisian counterpart and has been the central focus of Tokyo's skyline since 1958. A visit to the tower is a bit underwhelming, but my favorite ways to take in the tower...
6 Chome-11-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tōkyō-to 106-6108, Japan
Tokyo just can’t catch a break—it’s been flattened, firebombed, attacked by Godzilla, and now it’s been invaded by a giant spider. A spider sculpture, that is—Maman, as the series of art installations by the late American artist Louis Bourgeois...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 3 Festivals + Events 10 Secrets to Doing Oktoberfest Like a Local
- 4 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna
- 5 Bars + Nightlife The Best Rooftop Bars in Los Angeles