7 Places to Tap into Athens’ Cultural and Culinary Renaissance
Collected by Dana Brindle
From new restaurants to new arts institutions, head here to experience Athens’ remarkable revival.
Anastasiou Zinni 34, Athina 117 41, Greece
Located in the Koukaki neighborhood, rustic Fabrika tou Efrosinou is all about tradition and simplicity. Fine wines—many made by the chef’s wife—accompany savory pies, plump cracked wheat meatballs, and other seasonal dishes that nod to various...
Kallidromiou 69, Athina 106 83, Greece
The large, leafy patio of this mezze restaurant in bohemian Exarchia was once the local schoolyard. Now cozy couples and animated gaggles of friends gather beneath the flowering bowers to enjoy some of the most honest and comforting food in town....
Vrasida 11, Athina 161 21, Greece
Local ingredients take center stage at Vezené, a bistro in central Athens, where chef-owner Ari Vezené ages his own meats, sources the best seafood in Greece, and cooks 150 meals a day for people in need. This appeared in the January/February 2018...
Λεωφ. Καλλιρρόης και Αμβρ. Φραντζή, Αθήνα, 117 43, Athina 117 43, Greece
The EMST (National Museum of Contemporary Art)has existed since 2000 and often mounted edgy exhibitions in the Athens Conservatory across town. Theplan foritsnewhome got a green light, but construction was scheduled to beginin the middle of the...
Leof. Andrea Siggrou 364, Kallithea 176 74, Greece
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC)—new home for both the National Library and National Opera, designed by Renzo Piano and financed to the tune of €630 million—is a wonder to look at, walk through, and relax...
- 1 COVID + Travel What Happens if You Get COVID While Traveling Abroad? Let Me Tell You—It Happened to Me
- 2 COVID + Travel CDC Now Recommends COVID Testing for All Domestic Travel
- 3 Air Travel What It Means When You Have “SSSS” on Your Boarding Pass
- 4 Air Travel These Airlines Still Require Masks Onboard
- 5 COVID + Travel We Reviewed the CDC-Approved COVID Home Tests for International Travel—Here’s What to Know