Built in the 15th century. In 1596 when the capital was moved to Warsaw from Krakow the castle served as seat of the king and the government. It was destroyed completely during World War II.
The decision to rebuild Castle Square was taken in 1971. Funds for the rebuilding were provided thanks to the dedication of the community. In 1984 the reconstructed interiors were opened to the general public.
The Castel Square is a hub for tourists and locals, who gather to watch street entertainers, participate in rallies, watch concerts. This square was the scene of many scenes from Polish history. In 1997, at the Castle Square, U.S. President Bill Clinton gave a speech welcoming Poland to membership in NATO.