The Best Secluded Shores of the Caribbean
Collected by Patrick Bennett , AFAR Ambassador
The best strips of sand under the Caribbean sun are the ones less traveled. The ones away from the throngs of tourists and all-inclusives. Here are a few of my favorite secluded beaches throughout the West Indies.
Lee Road, Valley, Spanish Town, British Virgin Islands
This ex-Rockefeller estate originally opened as a hotel in 1964, and relaunched in January 2020, after a four-year closure and a multimillion-dollar renovation. Rosewood Little Dix Bay features a half-mile of powdery white sand on Virgin Gorda and...
Flamenco, Culebra, Puerto Rico
Suppose I told you there was a small, remarkably idyllic and fairly unpopulated island in the Caribbean just a short distance from the mainland United States, an island so immaculate, plans were in the works to make it a National Wildlife Refuge,...
Crocus Hill 2640, Anguilla
One of Anguilla's most secluded beaches, Little Bay is tucked beneath a series of bluffs on the island’s northwest. Usually reached by boat or kayak from Crocus Bay, this tiny, undeveloped stretch of sand hugs a cove with calm turquoise...
Fajardo, PR, Puerto Rico
Pictured is Siete Mares Playa (or Seven Seas Beach) in Fajardo, Puerto Rico—a sneaky strip of sand and local favorite that hides not one, but two semi-private playas off the beaten path. On the far left side of the beach you can find an enticing...
Happy Bay, St Martin
The start of the path is quite easy to find in Friar’s Bay. Just walk North past Kali’s Beach Bar and past Friar’s Bay Beach Bar until you see a path marked by orange arrows. It should lead up a hill. (There appears to be another path that goes...
- 1 COVID + Travel What Happens if You Get COVID While Traveling Abroad? Let Me Tell You—It Happened to Me
- 2 Air Travel What It Means When You Have “SSSS” on Your Boarding Pass
- 3 COVID + Travel We Reviewed the CDC-Approved COVID Home Tests for International Travel—Here’s What to Know
- 4 Travel Tips These Luggage Shipping Companies Will Get Your Bags to Your Destination Hassle-Free
- 5 Air Travel Free In-Flight Wi-Fi Is the Future (Ugh)