Back in April, Airbnb launched Online Experiences to provide a way for people to connect virtually during the COVID-19 pandemic. Over the past three months, people have logged on to watch virtual drag queen shows in Portugal, learn about leopards from a safari guide in Sri Lanka, and participate in whiskey tastings in Ireland. On July 1, Airbnb expanded its online cooking experiences to include a new curated collection hosted by world-renowned chefs—some of whom cook at Michelin-starred restaurants like Candlenut in Singapore and Gabriel Kreuther in New York.
Several dozen classes are available to book online starting July 1 and will take place multiple times throughout the summer for about $40 per class (see the full list of classes below). To celebrate the launch, several chefs are offering limited classes and will donate the proceeds to social impact initiatives.
All proceeds from David Chang’s One Pot Deliciousness (July 23 and 29), Claudette Zepeda’s Cauliflower Torta Tacos (July 17), and Edward Lee’s Summer Grilling Experience (July 17) will go toward Lee’s the LEE Initiative Restaurant Reboot Relief Program, which supports small farmers and helps restaurants reopen after COVID-19. The proceeds from Rōze Traore’s Favorite Summer Recipes (July 20) will benefit Harboring Hearts, which provides emergency housing, food, and more to heart transplant, liver transplant, and cardio-thoracic surgery patients and their caregivers.
While priced slightly higher at $75–100, these four classes will operate the same way as the other Airbnb online cooking classes: They’ll be hosted via Zoom and limited to around 10 participants, so you’ll have a chance to actually interact with these chefs, who will also share the stories behind their dishes and provide feedback while you cook at home. Bookings for these four cooking classes will open on July 6 at 10 a.m. PST; they will be available on a first come first serve basis, so set a reminder in your calendar.
“As a chef we connect with our guests through our food, but we don’t often have the chance to share and explore the stories behind dishes with diners directly,” Chang said in a press release. “These Online Experiences give us the opportunity to do that, while paving the way for chefs from around the world to connect with guests virtually from afar.”
Other Airbnb Online Cooking Experiences launching today, sorted by region, include:
- Secrets of a Michelin-Starred Chef with Malcolm Lee (of Candlenut in Singapore)
- Flavors from Down Under with Rishi Naleendra (of Cheek Bistro in Singapore)
- Contemporary Seoul Cuisine with Jun Lee (of Soigné in Seoul, South Korea)
- Mediterranean Seafood with Marc Favier (of Marcore in Paris, France)
- Seasonal French Produce with Indra Carrillo (of La Condesa in Paris, France)
- Fusion of Flavors with Joachim Koerper (of Eleven in Lisbon, Portugal)
- Roman Haute Cuisine with Cristina Bowerman (of Glass Hostaria in Rome, Italy)
- Secrets at Home with Giuseppe Iannotti (of Krèsios in Piedimonte Matese, Italy)
- Southern Italian Dishes with Paolo Gramaglia (of President in Amalfi Coast, Italy)
- First Course Flavors with Nicola Dinato (of Feva in Venice, Italy)
- Countryside Cooking with Davide Pezzuto (of D.One in Montepagano, Italy)
- Meaty Italian Mains with Andrea Ribaldone (of Osteria dell’Arborina in Piedmont Countryside, Italy)
- Taste of Tuscany with Gaetano Trovato (of Arnolfo in Colle di Val d’Elsa, Italy)
- Marvel at Chef Ivan’s Soulful Meals with Iván Muñoz (of El Chirón in Madrid, Spain)
- The World of High Kitchen Fermentations with Diego Guerrero (of DSTAgE in Madrid, Spain)
- Sabores de Al-Ándalus with Paco Morales (of Noor in Cordoba, Spain)
- Modern Mexican Cuisine with Roberto Ruiz (of Punto MX in Madrid, Spain)
- Summer Flavors with Pascal Aussignac (of Club Gascon in London, U.K.)
- Preservation Masterclass with Brad Carter (of Carters of Moseley in Birmingham, U.K.)
- Cook-Along with Michelin-Trained Chef Anthea Stephenson (of WeCook in London, U.K.)
- Alsatian Modern Cuisine with Gabriel Kreuther (of Gabriel Kreuther in New York City, USA)
- Tasty Home Staples with Jonathan Benno (of Benno in New York City, USA)
- Food Pairings with Soo Ahn (of Band of Bohemia in Chicago, USA)
- Global Contemporary Cuisine with Andrew Zimmerman (of Sepia in Chicago, USA)
- Easy Dishes with Tastemade Frankie Celenza (of Struggle Meals in New York City, USA)
- Brazil’s Finest Bites with Alberto Landgraf (of Oteque in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- Zeal and Simplicity of Japanese Cuisine with Edson Yamashita (of Ryo Gastronomia in São Paulo, Brazil)
Products we write about are independently vetted and recommended by our editors. AFAR may earn a commission if you buy through our links, which helps support our independent publication.