Florence off the beaten track
Collected by Nicky Swallow , AFAR Local Expert
It's very easy to leave the tourist crowds behind in Florence. Wander a bit, and you'll discover gardens, galleries, back alleys, and hidden gems galore.
Via dei Vecchietti, 4, 50123 Firenze FI, Italy
When people think of Florence, they usually think of Renaissance art and crowded museums filled with altarpieces and "Madonna and Child" images. While the Renaissance is the biggest draw of this historic city, there is a lot more to its art-museum...
Piazza Pitti, 1, 50125 Firenze FI, Italy
Costa S. Giorgio, 2, 50125 Firenze FI, Italy
The Bardini Garden is one of Florence's best kept secrets. It was built in the 12th century as part of a large estate owned by the Mozzi family. During the 20th century it was closed for many years and only reopened in 2005 after significant...
Piazza di Santa Croce, 50122 Firenze FI, Italy
Standing in the Piazza Santa Croce, a statue of Dante looms over the square from the corner. Florence, where Durante degli Alighieri's journey through hell, purgatory, and paradise was to begin but not end. In 1829 a tomb was built for him in the...
- 1 COVID + Travel What Happens if You Get COVID While Traveling Abroad? Let Me Tell You—It Happened to Me
- 2 Air Travel What It Means When You Have “SSSS” on Your Boarding Pass
- 3 COVID + Travel CDC Now Recommends COVID Testing for All Domestic Travel
- 4 COVID + Travel We Reviewed the CDC-Approved COVID Home Tests for International Travel—Here’s What to Know
- 5 Travel Tips These Luggage Shipping Companies Will Get Your Bags to Your Destination Hassle-Free