Exploring Iceland's Ring Road
Collected by Paul Sullivan , AFAR Local Expert
Iceland's main highway circles almost the entire country and offers spectacular scenery along the way. Stop off the road to see lighthouses, turf homes, waterfalls, and fishing villages.
Sæbraut, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
The Sun Voyager is a sculpture by Jón Gunnar Árnason. The Sun Voyager is a dreamboat, an ode to the sun. Intrinsically, it contains within itself the promise of undiscovered territory, a dream of hope, progress, and freedom. The sculpture is...
Nauthólsvegur, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
66.046407, -17.343459, Garðarsbraut, 640 Húsavík, Iceland
Try something different and experience wildlife on board a traditional Icelandic schooner operated by North Sailing Húsavík.The crew is fun and very knowledgeable. They take you to Lundey, the Puffin Island, as well as the traditional whale...
The impossible-to-pronounce Seljalandsfoss Waterfall in Iceland lies on the Southern Ring Road between the towns of Selfoss and Skogafoss on the way to the coastal town of Vik. The falls plunge about 200 feet into deep pool. Much of the waterfall...
On a trip to the amazing Iceland this January, my husband and I ended our first day at the small seaside town of Eyrarbakki. I wasn't prepared for how beautiful the Icelandic coast would be. The sun started its slow descent right around 4:45 each...
- 1 Longreads A Very Big Little Country
- 2 Food + Drink 8 Best Hawker Centers in Singapore—and What to Eat There
- 3 COVID + Travel Singapore and Thailand Are Opening to U.S. Travelers—What to Know About Southeast Asia Travel
- 4 Tips + News NYC’s New Observation Deck Is Delightfully Disorienting
- 5 Natural Wonders How to Watch the Orionids and Draconids Meteor Showers in October 2021