A Guide to the Douro Valley, Portugal
Collected by Afar Magazine
Explore one of Europe’s most underrated wine regions.
Viking Cruises, established in 1997, specializes in river cruises in Europe, Russia, Egypt, Southeast Asia, and China. In 2014 the company unveiled two new ships that were specially designed to sail the Douro River, which is narrower than many...
Douro, 3260 Figueiró dos Vinhos, Portugal
I have visited Napa and Sonoma, and have been to Tuscany, and Bordeaux, but no wine region of the world has surprised me with its beauty as much as the Douro. If your find yourself in Porto, it is well worth renting a car (or better yet, hiring a...
Praça Ribeira nº1, 4050-513 Porto, Portugal
Across the Douro River on the opposite side of Oporto is Vila Nova Da Gaia, where all the famous port wine cellars are located. The D. Luis I Bridge spans the river at the Cais da Ribeira. You can walk across the bridge and get to the Cais da...
Rua do Choupelo, 4400-088 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
It seems appropriate when visiting wine country to stay in a hotel that celebrates wine. The Yeatman, in Porto, is set in Vila Nova de Gaia, the historical headquarters of the region's famous port wine houses. The hotel has 82 rooms and suites,...
- 1 Travel for Good Hawai‘i Is Not Our Playground
- 2 Air Travel Are Surgical Masks Safer Than Cloth Masks on Planes?
- 3 COVID + Travel These Hawai‘i, Caribbean, and New York Hotels Now Require Vaccination
- 4 Books Airbnb Lists a House Fit for Winnie-the-Pooh in the Original Hundred Acre Wood
- 5 COVID + Travel Vaccine Passports Are Getting a Bit Easier to Obtain—Here’s How to Get One