House of Assembly
The parliament, or House of Assembly, of St. Vincent and the Grenadines meets in a 1798 building in Kingstown that would not be out of place in a typical English town. Erected after the French were expelled, it's one of a number of British buildings still standing on the island. Fort Charlotte was constructed in 1806 to protect the city from both French attacks and the local Carib population. And in front of Kingstown's New Central Market, a statue dedicated to British soldiers who died in the world wars remains a local landmark almost 40 years after the country declared independence.