One Week in Northern Tanzania
Collected by Kerry John-Davis, AFAR Contributor
Beginning in Arusha, visit the two spectacular northern parks of Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti. Then shop for tanzanite in Arusha, stay at Karatu for a bumpy village bike ride, and bite into sweet red bananas in Mto Wa Mbu Village.
3rd Floor, Blue Plaza, India Street, India St, Arusha, Tanzania
Tanzanite: "1,000 times rarer than diamonds" and unique to Tanzania. There are many shops selling these brilliant blue gemstones in Arusha, but the Tanzanite Experience also offers you the chance to learn bit a more about its history and how it...
A short drive outside of Ngorongoro Crater is The Crater Forest Tented Lodge. Because this lodge is higher up in elevation (1800M), there are not the concerns with mosquitos that you have at lower elevations, at least when we went in January. The...
This is a tented camp in the beautiful African desert between the Ngorongoro and the Seregeti that is owned and managed by Tanzanian locals. The installations are above any expectations, the food divine and the people, Masai members that take...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 3 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 4 History + Culture 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter
- 5 Air Travel Travelers’ Biggest Pet Peeves Ranked