How to Live the Alpine High Life
Collected by Simon Willis , AFAR Local Expert
Whether you break for bubbly on the slopes, spend the day at a luxurious spa, or shop for one of the world’s finest watches, you’ll find the Alpine high life almost impossible to leave.
Bahnhofstrasse, 3920 Zermatt, Switzerland
Few Alpine resorts satisfy shopaholics like glitzy Zermatt. Located at the base of the towering Matterhorn, the Swiss town boasts everything from top-notch jewelry stores to boutiques filled with world-class watches. For some of the best shopping,...
Schlossgass 77, 7414 Fürstenau, Switzerland
There’s no shortage of world-class restaurants in Switzerland but a few stand out for their exquisite culinary experience. With three Michelin stars to its name, Schauenstein Schloss is such a place. Housed in a tiny, renovated castle in...
St Moritz, Switzerland
In a country full of swanky resort towns, St. Moritz takes the crown with its wide array of five-star hotels, designer stores, and award-winning restaurants. The town is also home to such exciting activities as skijoring and ice cricket, which...
Neuschwansteinstraße 20, 87645 Schwangau, Germany
The most famous castle in Germany—and one of the best known in Europe—Neuschwanstein is renowned not just for its fairy-tale architecture (which directly inspired the Disney Castle) but also for its creator, “mad” King...
- 1 COVID + Travel What Happens if You Get COVID While Traveling Abroad? Let Me Tell You—It Happened to Me
- 2 Air Travel What It Means When You Have “SSSS” on Your Boarding Pass
- 3 COVID + Travel CDC Now Recommends COVID Testing for All Domestic Travel
- 4 COVID + Travel We Reviewed the CDC-Approved COVID Home Tests for International Travel—Here’s What to Know
- 5 Travel Tips These Luggage Shipping Companies Will Get Your Bags to Your Destination Hassle-Free