Collected by Jessica S. , AFAR Contributor
What's so wonderful about the House of Wonders? Who was Tippu Tip, and how did he show off his wealth? Why would you ever want to visit the beach in the rainy season? Some of your questions (or not) about Zanzibar, answered.
Sokoku St, Zanzibar, Tanzania
If you step off the ferry in Stone Town and don't know anything about Zanzibar, the House of Wonders (or Beit al-Ajab, as it's also known) has you covered. Just a few steps away from the ferry terminal, you'll get a crash course in Swahili...
Suicide Alley, Zanzibar, Tanzania
The crumbling architecture of Stone Town is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and the town’s carved doors are one of its most recognizable features. I spent a lot of time searching for the door of Swahili merchant Tippu Tip, a notorious 19th-century...
236 240, Hurumzi St, Zanzibar 3417, Tanzania
Emerson on Hurumzi may be Zanzibar’s most exquisite hotel. The rooms are named after sultans, merchants, princesses and explorers, and the historical bric-a-brac dotting the walls give it an elegant, museum-y quality. The hotel's rooftop bar and...
- 1 Tips + News Can I Travel Once I’m Vaccinated?
- 2 Trains Private Rooms on Amtrak’s Auto Train Are Just $109 Right Now
- 3 Tips + News Europe Could Have COVID-19 Vaccine Passports by Summer
- 4 Cruise These Cruises Are Requiring COVID Vaccinations for All Guests
- 5 Museums + Galleries Immersive Van Gogh Digital Art Shows Coming to 13 U.S. Cities