90133 Palermo, Province of Palermo, Italy
Palazzo Chiaramonte-SteriThe Palazzo Chiaramonte-Steri, also called Steri Castle, was built in 1307 by Sicily's powerful Chiaramonte family. Manfredi Chiaramonte later added the elaborate Hall of the Barons, whose wooden ceiling is blanketed with murals. Starting in 1601, the castle was a base for the Spanish Inquisition for 180 years. A tour of the prison cells offers a look at haunting graffiti carved into the walls by those wrongly imprisoned and tortured here.