Tokyo's Art Scene
Collected by Erin Bogar , AFAR Local Expert
Tokyo has art exhibitions and galleries for every style, from ancient Japanese calligraphy to post-modern design.
6-chōme-5-1 Minamiaoyama, Minato City, Tōkyō-to 107-0062, Japan
Just down the street from fashionable Omotesando is the Nezu Museum, with an exquisite Japanese garden. Architect Kengo Kuma's touches include a warm welcome with a bamboo wall at the entrance and rooms with picturesque views of the garden. The...
Japan, 〒107-6290 Tōkyō-to, Minato-ku, Akasaka, ９丁目7−６ 東京ミッドタウン・ガーデン内
21_21 Design Sight is a museum designed by one of Japan's most famous contemporary architects, Tadao Ando. The naturally lit space, of which some 80 percent is underground, is home to Japan's first design museum. The simple lines of the building's...
7 Chome-22-2 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tōkyō-to 106-8558, Japan
For some travelers, what comes to mind first when they think of Japan is tales of samurai and shoguns, centuries-old temples, and the tea ceremony and kabuki. For others, however, what makes the country most exciting is its contemporary art,...
1 Chome-4-1 Yokoami, Sumida-ku, Tōkyō-to 130-0015, Japan
An impressive dichotomy of massive modern architecture on the outside and a subdued, scholarly-yet-approachable atmosphere on the inside, this tribute to the history of Tokyo houses a large number of life-sized dioramas and recreations of what...
- 1 Tips + News CDC Approves At-Home COVID Tests for International Travel
- 2 Tips + News When Will We Be Able to Travel to Europe?
- 3 Tips + News These Countries Are Open to Vaccinated Travelers
- 4 Tips + News Italy Is Reopening to Travelers—Here’s Everything You Need to Know
- 5 Tips + News U.K. to Resume International Travel, Adding Several Countries to “Green List”