Not to be confused with the modern bridge that runs parallel to it, the Old Seven Mile Bridge was originally part of the Overseas Railroad built in the early 20th century by Henry Flagler. It began allowing automobiles in 1938, but after being hit repeatedly by hurricanes over the years, it was closed to vehicular traffic and the new bridge was built. The 3.5-kilometer-long (2.2-mile-long) section of the old bridge runs from Marathon to tiny Pigeon Key and is open to pedestrians and cyclists. A huge gap prevents it from joining the other section, which has deteriorated to the point that it is inaccessible. Many movies have been filmed on this icon, including True Lies.