St. Paul's Church
Atop St. Paul's Hill sit the ruins of St. Paul's Church, built by the Portuguese and consecrated in 1521. Malaysia's oldest church was first Roman Catholic, then Dutch Reformed and ultimately used by the British to store gunpowder. Missionary St. Francis Xavier was briefly interred here (after three weeks his remains were sent to Goa, in India, where they can be found to this day); an open grave marks the spot where he was buried. Adjacent to the church is the Porta de Santiago, all that's left of the Portuguese fortress A Famosa; built in the early 16th century after the Portuguese took control of Malacca, the fortress was used by both the Dutch and the British.