531 99 Lidköping, Sweden
A Pearl of a CastleThis impressive castle that shines like a white pearl at the tip of the penisula Kållandsö in Lake Vänern took its present form in the early 17th century, but a fortified castle has been on this site since 1285. In 1615 the castle was given to Count Jacob Pontusson De La Gardie, whose son, Magnus De La Gardie, took over the ownership in 1654 and proceeded to renovate and rebuild, adding a fourth floor, a chapel and housing for the staff. In the summer the inner court comes to life, with live opera performances, as well as the castle's restaurant, Hvita Hjorten, which is open April through December. Don’t miss the kitchen garden that provides many of the vegetables and fruits.