The best preserved of the 25 sugar plantations that once dotted St. John’s landscape, the Annaberg Plantation holds the distinction of being home to the largest sugar mill in the Virgin Islands. Sugar, molasses, and rum were all produced on the 518-acre estate during the 18th and 19th centuries. Cattle were later farmed here as well. A massive hurricane in 1914 ended commercial concerns here for good with the National Park Service taking over in 1956, clearing the site, and opening it to the public. Trails wind throughout the ruins detailing the history and the inner workings of the plantation.