Chile, Chiloe Island, Castro, Iglesia de San Francisco church, exterior, dawn.
Walter Bibikow/© Walter Bibikow
Designed by Italian architect Eduardo Provasoli and completed between 1910 and 1912 to replace an earlier church that burned down, this UNESCO World Heritage Site (one of 16 churches on Chiloé recognized as such) blends Gothic and neoclassical elements. Located in the heart of town on the Plaza de Armas, the church is painted a bright yellow with purple accents. While the facade is eye-catching, the varnished-wood interior is a marvel in its own right.