The original church on the site of Iglesia La Matriz was established in 1559; the building has been through several incarnations since. One church building was destroyed by fire and another was demolished in an earthquake. The present building is a pleasingly simple neoclassical structure dating from 1837. Next door is Santo Domingo Square. The neighborhood, with its typical seaport architecture, still evokes the grittier side of Valparaíso, but the church is worth a visit.