This fort—which was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1972—is named after the man who negotiated the purchase of Alaska from the Russians. At the request of President William McKinley, the fort was built between 1902 and 1904 with 85 wood frame buildings next to a village of Tlingit Indians. By 1909 the fort encompassed approximately 4,410 acres. It was used as a military post from 1925 to 1940, when it was the only active military installation in the state. It now houses an arts facility with galleries and restaurants in some of the original buildings.