Photo courtesy of Aman Resorts
Amangiri Canyon Point
Set within a postcard-perfect corner of southern Utah and surrounded by national parks, the 600-acre Amangiri is tucked away in a protected valley among the canyons, flat-topped mesas, and desert landscapes of the Grand Circle. The resort’s architecture and decor allow the area’s natural beauty to take center stage: Interiors are decorated in a minimalist fashion, using natural materials such as white stone and concrete, Douglas fir timber, blackened steel, and polished glass. The 34 accommodations range from 1,150-square-foot mesa- or desert-view suites to larger options with private pools, plus one four-bedroom home with living and dining areas and a kitchen; all include private outdoor space (terraces or courtyards), fireplaces, and heated floors for cooler desert nights. In the sprawling 25,000-square-foot spa, treatments are inspired by Navajo healing traditions and begin with sage smudging ceremonies. The local landscape also shines through in the cuisine, which features a Southwestern-inspired menu and is served with gorgeous views of the desert vistas. When you’re not exploring the surroundings on guided hikes and horseback rides, or kayaking on nearby Lake Powell, linger on property for the cold and heated pools and yoga pavilion.
- Mesa View Suites1,000-square-foot rooms with mesa and sunset views, private terrace with fireplace, King bed, living area with reading chairs and writing desk, soaking tub and twin showers, and private courtyard entrance with seating.
- Desert View Suites1,000-square-foot rooms with desert landscape views, private terrace with fireplace, King bed, living area with reading chairs and writing desk, soaking tub and twin showers, and private courtyard entrance with seating.
- Terrace SuitesThe singular 1,150-square-foot Terrace Suite offers sweeping views of the mountain ridge and rock escarpment, along with a private terrace with fireplace, courtyard with seating areas, king bed, living area with writing desk, soaking tub, and twin rain showers.
- Mesa Pool SuitesThe two Mesa Pool Suites are 1,572 square-feet, and feature views of the mesa and sunset that can be enjoyed from the private sky terrace and daybed. Other amenities include a private 215-square-foot plunge pool, a second terrace with fireplace, private courtyard with large daybed, king bed, living area with writing desk, twin rain showers, and a soaking tub.
- Desert Pool SuitesThe two Desert Pool Suites stretch 1, 614 square-feet, and offer views of the desert dunes and plateaus from all windows and the private, daybed-equipped sky terrace. Other amenities include a 215-square-foot plunge pool, a second terrace with fireplace, private courtyard with large daybed, king bed, living area with writing desk, twin rain showers, and a soaking tub.
- Girijaala SuiteGuest of the Girijaala Suite can soak up views of the mountain ridge, and the waters of their private, 603-square-foot pool. Other perks of the 3,734-square-foot suite include an extensive terrace with loungers, couches, and a dining table; a dedicated “sky terrace” for stargazing, king bed, living area with writing desk, two bathing areas with twin rain showers and soaking tub, and twin vanities and dressing areas.
- Amangiri SuiteSpread out in the one-of-a-kind Amangiri Suite, boasting views out to the stunning dunes and plateaus. Do some laps in your 775-square-foot private pool with “floating” steps, relax around the firepit or enjoy an al fresco meal on the extensive terrace, and take in the stars from the sky terrace. The suite also features a king bed, private courtyard entrance, sun loungers, living area with writing desk, twin rain showers, soaking tub, and dressing areas.
- Mesa HomeAmangiri’s Mesa Home is a four-bedroom, four-bathroom hideaway with a 50-foot swimming pool, living and dining rooms, chef’s kitchen, private courtyard, sun loungers, outdoor dining areas, expansive stone terrace, fireplace, and separate rain showers and soaking tubs in each bathroom.
Southern Utah's Amangiri
Navajo principles inspire the treatments at the Aman Spa. Guests are offered Navajo Greenthread tea before undergoing the purification ritual of smudging, where sage is burned and the smoke fanned over the body. 1 Kayenta Road, Canyon Point Utah 84741-0285, (435) 675-3999 and (877) 695-3999.
Room With a View
I ordered in room service for much of my stay, but with a vista like this can one be blamed? I did however manage to tear myself away and experience much of what this modern luxury retreat had to offer. Amangiri is definitely a full service resort complete with yoga & palliates classes, a Native American influenced spa, and a number of different nature excursions. Hiking through the Canyon Slots is a must!
This is The Coolest Hotel in America
Seriously. The second Aman Resort in the US -- considered by many to be the best hotel chain in the world -- is located in its own canyon, with nobody else around for miles. You don't even think you're in the US. With only 40 or so rooms, each looking out onto its own naked canyons, it is absolutely stunning. The most amazing service, jaw dropping pool and their own guides to take you on tours throughout all the nearby canyon lands. They even have their own set of BMWs you can drive for free. The prices are ridiculous, but worth every penny. Oh yeah, Lake Powell is right down the street, but you'll never want to leave this place. You'll remember this place for the rest of your life. Check out the architecture in the attached pics.
1 Kayenta Rd, Canyon Point, UT 84741, USA