Sausalito, CA 94965, USA
Photo by Rolf52/age fotostock
A Day in SausalitoGet a small-town experience just a short ferry ride or an easy drive from San Francisco in Sausalito. The town is known for its seaside charm, but there are a few not-to-miss things to do while you're there.
1. Grab lunch at one of the many restaurants and cafés with views of the San Francisco skyline.
2. Walk along Bridgeway, Sausalito's main drag, and browse the numerous souvenir shops, boutiques, and art galleries.
3. Sausalito's houseboat community showcases anything from renovated architectural gems to repurposed barges to vessels that need some serious TLC. These are private homes, so be respectful when wandering around. Liberty Dock and Issaquah Dock are good places to start.
4. The Bay Model Visitor Center, run by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, is an acre-and-a-half scale reconstruction of the Bay Area's waterways. From an observation platform, watch tides ebb and flow every 15 minutes, and marvel at just how big the bay really is.
5. Kayak or stand-up paddleboard. Near the Bay Model, Sea Trek offers several types of classes for both, catering to all skill levels.
6. Stock up on dinnerwear made in Sausalito at Heath Ceramics. Among the houseboats and artist studios is the original 1959 factory, where the clay is made, and the plates, bowls and cups are shaped and glazed. There is also tour each Friday, and weekend tours Saturday and Sunday. The factory is slightly north of downtown.
about 7 years ago