King Hussain St, Aqaba
Aqaba FortRecently renovated, Aqaba's fort has stood witness to many of great historical events. It was first built by the Crusaders in the 12th century, and marked the limits of their incursions into the region until it was destroyed by Saladin. The Mamelukes rebuilt it according to their own design 200 years later when Egypt was the great regional power, and after that it was the turn of the Ottomans.
The capture of the fort in 1916 by the Arab forces marked a major victory in uprising against the Ottomans, and allowed the port to open up an important supply line for the Arabs. Its role is commemorated by frankly enormous flagpole that stands outside, a whopping 135m high, which flies the flag not of Jordan, but of the Great Arab Revolt.
There is a small museum inside the fort, though the impressive building is as much an attraction in itself.