Small Ship Cruises: The Arctic
Collected by Carrie Finley-Bajak, AFAR Local Expert
From the land of the Midnight Sun enjoy the search for wildlife from the comfort of an small ship expedition boat. Days are spent looking for Arctic wildlife, where Polar bears, walrus, seals, and Arctic foxes haunt the ice edge.
Hans Nilsens vei 41, 9020 Tromsdalen, Norway
Many visitors are surprised to learn this cathedral's striking modern design dates to the 1960s. The soaring triangular structure is visible from downtown Tromsø, although taking a bus or cab is recommended as the walk across...
Aksla, 6007 Ålesund, Norway
Surrounded by barrier islands and mountains alike, Alesund is a little speck of color on Norway's mid-Atlantic coast. The history of this town is a sad one. On one night in January, 1904, a fire spread, destroying the entire island. The town was...
Ittoqqortoomiit, Scoresbysund 3980, Greenland
Don’t let the Vikings fool you about Greenland; though its name implies lush forests and verdant valleys, the overwhelming majority of the island is covered in ice, year-round. This means cruises to the region (with outfitters such as Wilderness...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Expat Life 11 Best Islands to Move to After Retiring
- 3 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 4 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 5 Where to Go in Winter 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter