Zahira Asmal's Favorite Public Spaces
Collected by Afar Magazine
Designing South Africa and Designing Brazil founder Zahira Asmal's favorite public spaces, around the globe.
Praça Coronel Eugênio Franco - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, Brazil
Absolutely every type of person in Rio comes here, where city meets ocean. On Sundays, a section of road is closed to traffic and you see people walking, jogging, and rollerblading along the promenade, and playing volleyball on the beach. Most...
Kensington Gardens, London W2 3XA, UK
The Serpentine is a gallery in Kensington Gardens. It’s a place where nature and culture converge. Each summer the gallery commissions international artists and architects to create a pavilion for concerts, talks, and presentations. The 2012...
R. Clélia, 93 - Água Branca, São Paulo - SP, 05042-000, Brazil
Architects should be cultural agents who are concerned with both good and functional design. For me, Lina Bo Bardi and her raw, modernist architecture exemplified this. She really thought about the people who would use her spaces. My favorite...
- 1 Air Travel Want a Free Volunteer Vacation? JetBlue Has Your Ticket
- 2 News and Openings 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 3 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 4 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December
- 5 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet