Collected by AFAR Explorer
AFAR Explorer′s Wishlist
Kaimu-Chain of Craters Rd, Hawaii, USA
A nighttime hike through Volcanoes National Park yields an up close and personal experience with lava right from Kilauea. Start at West Kaili ili entry, adjacent Chain of Craters road. We highly recommend wearing sturdy, closed-toe shoes. Use your...
Chain of Craters Rd, Pāhoa, HI 96778, USA
There are several hidden treasures among the volcanoes on the Big Island of Hawaii. The one that I found most fascinating was a short (0.7 mile) hike from the Chain of Craters road to the Pu'u Loa Petroglyphs. I was most fascinated that this land...
Ka Lae Rd, Naalehu, HI 96772, USA
South Point on the Big Island is the most southern point in the United States. The cliffs were ancient mooring places for canoes belonging to the first settlers on the Big Island. Fishermen still use this place to cast their lines, and adventurous...
Keauhou Bay, Kahaluu-Keauhou, HI 96740, USA
One of the better snorkel spots I have been to is at Keauhou Bay, where the variety of fish is impressive and green sea turtles come to feast. The bay has been the location of some revitalization and preservation efforts recently, which makes the...
Captain Cook, HI, USA
Far from the big resorts, in a lush, hilly corner of the Big Island that the locals consider the real Hawaii, is Ka’awa Loa Plantation & Guesthouse. This tremendously charming bed-and-breakfast is set on a small coffee farm and fruit...
- 1 Travel News Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 3 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico
- 4 Gear The Best Luggage for 2019
- 5 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign