Collected by AFAR Explorer
AFAR Explorer′s Wishlist
Corvo Island, 9980, Portugal
Small and remote, Corvo Island is the tip of an enormous marine volcano known as Monte Gordo. Its main attraction is Lagoa do Caldeirão, on the bottom of the crater where you can observe nine islets, one for each of the Azores Islands. It was here...
Garibaldi Hill, Montserrat
Soufriere Hills Volcano dominates the southern region of the tiny island of Montserrat. For miles around the continually active volcano stretches an area designated the exclusion zone —a no man's land prone to pyroclastic flows and general Hellish...
Taal Volcano, Talisay, Philippines
Located in Tagaytay in Luzon, just an hour and a half by car from Manila, Taal Volcano has a complex and unique landscape and offers one of the most picturesque views in the Philippines. Taal Lake is a freshwater lake that partly fills the Taal...
Whakaari / White Island, Bay Of Plenty, New Zealand
The "youngest country on earth" was forged along the Pacific Ring of Fire, a geological pressure cooker that creates glaciers and volcanoes (and is susceptible to earthquakes). One of New Zealand's active volcanoes, the White Island in the Bay of...
Mt Bromo, Area Gn. Bromo, Podokoyo, Tosari, Pasuruan, East Java, Indonesia
Bright and early, just before the sun comes up over Mount Bromo, Mount Semeru and Mount Batok, with ample rolling fog and an epic eruption for good measure. We climbed Mount Penanjakan in our Toyota 4x4 pre-dawn in the headlights of some 1,200...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna