Collected by AFAR Explorer
AFAR Explorer′s Wishlist
29-31 Abercromby Pl, Edinburgh EH3 6QE, UK
Whisky connoisseurs can sample more than 40 single-malt scotches as their vintage carriages slice through the Scottish Highlands. The veranda of the Edwardian-style observation car offers a relaxing retreat after such activities as private...
Isle of Skye, Duntulm, Portree IV51 9UF, UK
At the very northern tip of the Isle of Skye, which is an island off of the upper north western shore of Scotland, are the ruins of Duntulm Castle. To get there, you have to drive for several hours on narrow dirt roads, but the sense of remoteness...
Dornie, Kyle of Lochalsh IV40 8DX, UK
As we came around the bend on the main tourist route to the Isle of Skye, Eilean Donan Castle majestically came into view. Located on a small tidal island in Loch Duich in the western part of the Highlands, Eilean Donan Castle is probably one of...
Pointhouse Place, Glasgow G3 8RS, UK
This new waterfront incarnation of the Glasgow Museum of Transport, which debuted in 2011, was voted the 2013 European Museum of the Year by the European Forum Awards. It’s not hard to see why: the collections here marry a supercool Zaha...
Stonehaven AB39 2TL, UK
On a cold, rainy morning in Sept, 2010 I hiked the 3km from Stonehaven to Dunnottar Castle. Public transport is available, but you are cheating yourself by not walking. The path to Dunnottar cuts through fields and is well-maintained. As you get...
- 1 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 2 News and Openings 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 3 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 4 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December
- 5 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now