Collected by Kristin Zibell, AFAR Local Expert
3400 S Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89109, USA
Their popular show closed abruptly with Roy’s injury in 2003, but the famous animal trainers and illusionists have established a research and education center. It teems with lions, tigers, leopards, black panthers, and bottlenose...
Laniakea Beach, North Shore, HI 96712, USA
More commonly known as Turtle Beach, this Oahu North Shore cove often attracts honu, aka Chelonia mydas, the largest of the hard-shelled sea turtles. These big, friendly giants can reach 400 pounds as adults and are herbivorous, feeding primarily...
Mahabalipuram Beach, Tamil Nadu 603104
In the southern Indian beach town of Mamallapuram, Tamil Nadu, you'll find the 'Cow Council' meeting in fair weather just before sunset. All the town's cows meet to check in each evening and then linger for about half an hour. This phenomenon is...
Japan, 〒381-0401 長野県下高井郡山ノ内町平穏６８４５
I left tropical Southeast Asia for Japan in the dead of winter for one reason - to see snow monkeys. I'd always seen pictures like the one above, of zen macaques in steaming hot springs surrounded by snow, and had no idea how accessible they were...
B199, Rambukkana 71100, Sri Lanka
The Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage in Sri Lanka has existed since 1975. It cares for elephants that are injured, or without Mothers. It is regarded as the home of the biggest herd of elephants in the world. While visiting the Orphanage, you can see...
- 1Travel TipsHow to Plan the Perfect Group Trip (Without the Stress)
- 2Museums + GalleriesAustria’s New James Bond Museum Is a Spectacular Secret Lair High in the Alps
- 3PhotographySweden’s Magical Midsommar Festival Is Straight out of a Fairy Tale
- 4Luxury AdventureHow to Glamp Under the Midnight Sun in Norway This Summer
- 5Travel NewsYosemite’s Giant Sequoia Grove Reopens After Nearly Three Years