Where to Hike in Europe
Collected by Becca Blond, AFAR Local Expert
Hike through wildflower-strewn meadows in Switzerland and Austria or past lakes and waterfalls in Plitvice National Park in Croatia. Europe is a paradise for hikers ready to hit the trails.
Riomaggiore SP, Italy
Hiking the Cinque Terre is an extraordinary way to explore the Ligurian Coast. Five villages connected only by hiking trail and rail with breathtaking coastal views and colorfully quaint villages. The trails can be challenging at times and it is...
Hahnenkamm, 6370 Kitzbuhel, Austria
For skiers, the Hahnenkamm mountain in Kitzbuehel is the holy grail of ski racing, home to the world’s most famous and most challenging downhill course, the Streif. You will likely never have the chance, or possibly the desire, to ski down the...
Mt Elbrus, Kabardino-Balkaria, Russia, 361616
As the highest point in Europe and one of the Seven Summits of the World, Mt. Elbrus makes it onto most mountaineers’ bucket lists. This long-dormant volcano is situated between the Caspian and Black Seas on the rugged and dramatic Caucus mountain...
Milngavie, Glasgow G62 6PB, UK
Challenge yourself over 12 days and 95 miles, crossing the woodlands, moorlands, and mountains of Western Scotland. The long days on foot are rewarded with a good night’s rest at local inns. From $2,095. This appeared in the March/April 2014...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 News and Openings 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys