Where to Celebrate Carnival Outside of Rio
Collected by Bryan Kitch, AFAR Contributor
While Rio de Janeiro may be home to the world's most famous Carnival, there are many beautiful places around the globe where you're more than welcome to dance the night away in the streets. Here are a few.
Every February many European countries are hosting carnivals where everybody participates, young and old. This year was our first time to one and we were lucky enough to see the one in Maastricht, Netherlands. What a delight that was, it made the...
The Valley 2640, Anguilla
Anguilla Carnival is the island's biggest holiday, and is widely known and celebrated throughout the island. I was jamming in the streets to live soca and reggae bands. the streets are transformed into a spectrum of colour as the various troupes...
La Paz, Bolivia, Genaro Sanjines, La Paz, Bolivia
55049 Viareggio, Province of Lucca, Italy
For sand, sun, and fun on the Tuscan Riviera, head to this idyllic town bordered by the Tyrrhenian Sea on one side and the peaks of Masa Carrara (home to the famous while marble of the same name) on the other. Originally built as the port for...
San Nicolas, Aruba
Given Aruba’s love for Carnival, it's no surprise San Nicolas residents stage and celebrate a colorful, cultural Caribbean Festival every Thursday night. Imagine pop-up tents featuring fruit smoothies, street food, hand-crafted treasures, colorful...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Expat Life 11 Best Islands to Move to After Retiring
- 3 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 4 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 5 Where to Go in Winter 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter