Collected by Darius R. Porter
400 8th St NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
From the hilltop of the U.S. Capitol to the riverfront behind the Lincoln Memorial, the National Mall is “America’s Front Yard.” Lined with museums and accented by monuments and memorials, the 1.9-mile stretch of green space is...
1781 Florida Ave NW, Washington, DC 20009, USA
I've visited Belgian cafes across this country, and I liked this one quite a bit. With waffle brunches, pastries, and beer, they cover the whole food experience. The service has a hipster edge (and was somewhat lackadaisical), so don't go when in...
East Capitol St NE & First St SE, Washington, DC 20004, USA
The U.S. Capitol Building is the epicenter of all D.C. political action—this is where the country's most important battles are fought. Home to the House of Representatives and the Senate's meeting chambers for more than two centuries, it's...
1309 5th St NE, Washington, DC 20002, USA
Union Market is the perfect D.C. destination if you're searching for a weekend brunch spot, craving a snack on your way to visit the Capitol, or, you know, hungry. Oyster bar, bakery, taqueria, soda shop, sandwich shop, Korean taco grill—all...
309 Middle St, Washington, VA 22747, USA
A pastiche of vibrant prints and Chinese porcelain decorates the dramatic guest room of this English-style manor in rural Virginia, designed by a London stage and set designer. In the dining room, Chef Patrick O’Connell serves dishes based on...
- 1TechThe Future of the Great American Road Trip Is Electric
- 2History + CulturePortugal’s Exquisite Historic Lodgings Offer a Window to the Past
- 3Restaurants + CafésTar, Spaghetti, and Other Totally Real Ice Cream Flavors You Need to Try in Europe
- 4Exceptional Travel ExperiencesThe True Magic of Machu Picchu Isn’t Where You Think It Is
- 5Museums + GalleriesAustria’s New James Bond Museum Is a Spectacular Secret Lair High in the Alps