Volos' Top 5
Collected by Andrew Bostock , AFAR Contributor
This is an excellent town museum housed in a 1909 neoclassical building. It boasts artifacts from all around Northern Greece, including many uncommon finds alongside the usual statuary. These include paintings from grave stelae and figurines that...
Pelion, Zagora 370 01, Greece
There are several ways to explore beautiful Mount Pelion, but if you can, the best option is to walk. This does not need to be a long hike (although plenty of superb ones exist); even a short wander in and around the traditional villages will be...
Makrinitsa 370 11, Greece
This is one of the prettiest of Pelion’s villages, with amazing views down to the sea and across Vólos. Legend has it that refugees fleeing Constantinople after it was sacked during the Crusades founded Makrinitsa in 1204. The village boasts many...
Kalabaka 422 00, Greece
The extraordinary landscape of Meteora, with its monasteries impossibly perched on cliff tops, is rightly on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The monks used to be hauled up to their monasteries in nets, but now the site is reachable by stone steps....
Milies 370 10, Greece
The little train of the Pelion is a narrow-gauge railway that offers one of the best ways to see the beautiful landscape of this part of Greece. It used to chug up the mountain behind one of the original Belgian steam engines, but these have now...
- 1 Travel News When Will We Be Able to Travel to Europe?
- 2 Travel News Europe Proposes Extending Travel Ban Until June 15
- 3 Travel News What Life Looks Like in Countries Coming Out of Lockdown
- 4 Travel News Iceland Begins to Reopen After Rigorous Testing Helps Contain Coronavirus Outbreak
- 5 Longreads Inside the Growing Community of Families on the Road, Full Time