Venice's Small Museums
Collected by AFAR Traveler
Cultural highlights not far off the beaten path...
San Croce, 1992, 30135 Venezia VE, Italy
A five-minute walk from the Rialto Market, down winding streets, small campos, and alleyways, is the Museum of Palazzo Mocenigo. Restored and expanded in 2013, the museum is a window on to the lives of 17th- and 18th-century Venetian nobles: how...
Calle del Scaleter, 2794, 30125 Venezia VE, Italy
Riva S. Biasio, 2148, 30122 Venezia VE, Italy
So many of Venice's visitors walk right by the giant cast iron anchors in front of the Museo Storico Navale in Castello near the Arsenale and never step foot inside. Which is a shame because this small museum is a trove of fascinating information...
Dorsoduro 50, località Zattere, 30123 Venezia VE, Italy
You'll find the Spazio Vedova art space along the tranquil Zattare esplanade, facing Giudecca Island. It was originally used to store salt and later boats. In the 1970s, Vedova saved the building from demolition, and between 2006 and 2009, under...
Santa Maria Formosa, 5252, 30122 Venezia VE, Italy
This former residence belonged to Venice's Querini Stampalia family and is great to visit if you're interested in learning about how one of the founding families of the Venetian republic lived and luxuriated. Quiet, and rarely thronged with...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May