Tuscany - Villege
Collected by Lean Wang
01030 Calcata Vecchia VT, Italy
Abandoned in the 1960s for fear its cliffs were crumbling, Calcata, Italy was discovered by hippies and artists soon after and today, the "paese dei fricchettone," is still made up of the same "freaks." I lived in Calcata, wedged between Tuscany...
00060 Mazzano Romano, Metropolitan City of Rome, Italy
The government said the cliffs of Calcata, a medieval hill town 30 miles north of Rome, where crumbling and the residents would have to abandon the village for a new one a half mile away. They were right. Sort of. There was a government policy,...
01030 Vitorchiano, VT, Italy
I wanted a week away from technology, and so I rented a farm house in Lazio, Italy. The nearest town, pictured above, was Vitorchiano. It's a cliffside medieval village with a long-standing identity as an affiliate to room. The two restaurants in...
Viale della Stazione, 52, 05100 Terni TR, Italy
The waterfalls at Cascate delle Marmore are manmade, but you'd never know it. In ancient Roman times, the town of Rieti was plagued by malaria from the nearby wetlands. Roman engineers diverted a river over the cliff to reduce the amount of water...
- 1 Air Travel Want a Free Volunteer Vacation? JetBlue Has Your Ticket
- 2 News and Openings 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 3 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 4 Air Travel TSA PreCheck Members, Get Ready to Start Using Facial Recognition
- 5 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December