Collected by Rob Tesoriero
Via della Cassa di Risparmio, 3, 34121 Trieste TS, Italy
Best described as an old-world fast-food counter, the buffet emerged from the habit of Trieste’s dockworkers and shopkeepers to take a quick midmorning snack, or “rebechin.” Conveniently located near Trieste’s seaport, train station, markets, and...
Piazza Unità d'Italia, 34121 Trieste TS, Italy
In the center of Trieste, the capital of Italy’s Friuli–Venezia Giulia region, the vast Piazza dell’Unità d’Italia looks out over the deep, blue waters of the Gulf of Trieste. This elegant seafront square is bordered on three sides by ornate...
6330 Piran, Slovenia
Need a break from the snow and mountains? The bright Istrian town of Piran, on the Adriatic Sea, can feel downright Mediterranean if you time your surprisingly short trip right. Just an hour and a half from Slovenia. Tool around Istria while...
Viale Miramare, 34151 Trieste TS, Italy
The starkly whitewashed Castello di Miramare perches on the tip of a promontory just north of Trieste, its wedding-cake façade glistening against sea and sky. The castle was built for Archduke Maximilian (brother of the Hapsburg emperor Franz...
Frazione Duino, 19, 34011 Duino TS, Italy
“Who, if I cried out, would hear me among the angels’ hierarchies?” These were the words of inspiration that, like a voice from the wind, called out to poet Rainer Maria Rilke one stormy day while he was wandering along the sea cliffs near the...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Where to Go in Fall Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Museums + Galleries The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum