Collected by Meghan Gordon
There are so many peaceful places in and around Tokyo. Break away from the crowds and clear your mind.
5 Chome-7-29 Minamiazabu, 港区 Minato-ku, Tōkyō-to 106-0047, Japan
Tokyo parks are made for slowing down. Somebody put a lot of thought into designing everything just so —the pond, the landscaping, this tree here, that tree there. Find a bench and take it all in. Arisugawa-no-miya Memorial Park is an excellent...
3 Chome-7 Gokurakuji, Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture 248-0023, Japan
The rainy season trade-off in Japan means not seeing the sun for weeks in exchange for insane hydrangea blooms, or ajisai. I think it's a fair deal. Just as with cherry blossoms in the spring, you don't have to go to a particular spot to enjoy...
Japan, 〒236-0015 Kanagawa-ken, Yokohama-shi, Kanazawa-ku, 金沢町２１２−１
The most peaceful place I've found while living in Yokohama is Shomyoji Temple near the Kanazawa-Bunko station on the Keikyu rail line. The structures and iconic red bridges have been rebuilt in the past century, but the site has been used as a...
7 Chome-14-8 Yanaka, Taitō-ku, Tōkyō-to 110-0001, Japan
Tenouji temple is a lovely little temple located next to Yanaka Cemetery near Nippori. About a 15-minute walk from Ueno Park, it is located in a residential neighborhood dotted with traditional Japanese-style houses and architecture as well as...
Japan, 〒105-0002 Tokyo, Minato, Atago, １丁目 五番三号
The thing about visiting shrines in Japan is that they're everywhere and they're all special in their own way. So explore the ones in whatever neighborhood you're staying—they're bound to be peaceful and interesting. If you find yourself in Tokyo...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now