Collected by Leeann Murphy , AFAR Local Expert
Altındere Mahallesi, Altındere Vadisi, 61750 Maçka/Trabzon, Turkey
This 4th-century Greek Orthodox monastery clings to a cliff face 1,200 meters above the Altındere Valley National Park. With its admired Rock Church, complete with biblical frescoes inside and out, this rock-hewn historical site is like no other...
Fatih Mahallesi, Ayasofya Cd., 61040 Ortahisar/Trabzon, Turkey
The Hagia Sophia’s stunning Byzantine architecture reveals its former life as a church (1260–1461), and features biblical frescoes from this period. The church was converted to a mosque during the Ottoman era, and later turned into a museum...
Gazipaşa Mahallesi, Zeytinlik Cd. No:7, 61030 Trabzon Merkez/Trabzon, Turkey
This early-20th-century mansion has served many functions. Originally the residence of Greek banker Kostaki Theophylaktos, it was also Trabzon's military headquarters during the War of Independence, a Governor’s House and a girls' school. Now it’s...
Boztepe Mahallesi, İran Cd. No:53, 61030 Trabzon Merkez/Trabzon, Turkey
For panoramic views of the city and harbor, venture up to Boztepe Park, located three kilometers from the city center. Locals come here for some keyif (the Turkish art of idle relaxation). Do as they do: Pull up a chair, order a Turkish tea and...
Kemerkaya Mh., Kahramanmaraş Cd. No:17, 61200 Trabzon/Trabzon Merkez/Trabzon, Turkey
This ornate early-20th-century summer pavilion was built by a Greek banker who was forced to leave Turkey during the 1923 population exchange with Greece. The pavilion was then gifted to the first president of the Republic of Turkey, the revered...
- 1 Travel News The Real Story Behind Venice’s Newly Crystal-Clear Canals
- 2 Travel News Quarantine. Self-Isolation. Lockdown. Shelter in Place. What’s the Difference?
- 3 Travel News Virtual Museum Tours, Performances, and Tutorials to Keep You (and Your Kids) Entertained at Home
- 4 Air Travel TSA Just Made Some Major Changes to Its Rules Due to Coronavirus
- 5 Travel News What Life Looks Like in Locked-Down Countries