Top Picks in Plymouth
Collected by Gretchen Kelly, AFAR Local Expert
2 The Barbican, Plymouth PL1 2LR, UK
The Port of Plymouth is where the Pilgrims boarded the Mayflower in 1620 to set sail for the New World. A granite block marks the entryway to the famous Mayflower Steps and portions of the cobbled pier date from the 17th century. Nearby, the...
About a 40-minute drive from Plymouth, Dartmoor National Park feels like a different world. The setting of Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles, the park’s windswept moors are dotted with otherworldly granite hills called tors....
Bodelva, Par PL24 2SG, UK
Cornwall's Eden Project is a popular eco-attraction consisting of two massive domes that contain thousands of plant species. The two biomes, one containing a rain forest climate and the other a Mediterranean one, are set in a reclaimed Kaolinite...
Cremyll, Torpoint PL10 1HZ, UK
If you're a Downton Abbey fan, a visit to Mount Edgcumbe House and Gardens should be at the top of your list. The former home of the Earls of Mount Edgcumbe, this massive historic house is set within a 350-hectare (865-acre) park on the Rame...
Coombe Cottage, The Coombes, Polperro, Looe PL13 2RQ, UK
Forty kilometers from Plymouth is the village of Polperro, a picture-perfect Cornish seaside town that has been home to fishermen—and a smuggling trade—for centuries. A local landmark of note is a house covered entirely in shells, located in the...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Expat Life 11 Best Islands to Move to After Retiring
- 3 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 4 Where to Go in Winter Why You Should Go to New York City This Winter
- 5 History + Culture 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter