Top Outdoor Experiences in Swedish Lapland
Collected by Lola (Akinmade) Åkerström, AFAR Local Expert
From husky sledding and hiking to chasing the Northern Lights and sleeping in a tree hotel, here are exciting outdoor experiences that show you a different side of Sweden.
Skabram 201, 962 99 Jokkmokk, Sweden
Swedish wilderness tour guides Matti Holmgrem and Stina Svensson of Jokkmokkguiderna often spend days on end camping out and sledding through the spectacular mountain regions of Padjelanta and Sarek National Parks in Laponia with their 38 Siberian...
Abisko Turist Station, 981 07 Abisko, Sweden
Around me was utter silence even though dozens of people were above and below me. Nearby towering mountains were coated in snow. Unnerving and eerie in one sense yet utterly humbling. The chairlift I was riding in had to be stopped for every...
Marknadsvägen 63, 981 91 Jukkasjärvi, Sweden
When I first stepped into the blue folds of the ICEHOTEL in Jukkasjärvi I thought this must be what Superman's Fortress of Solitude looks like. It's that blue found in the water of higher latitudes, a blue that looks photoshopped although no...
Edeforsvägen 2A, 960 24 Harads, Sweden
TreeHotel exemplifies rustic elegance with its quintessentially Swedish eco-friendly designs and trendy minimalist décor tightly coupled with a rugged backcountry location within the tiny village of Harads in Swedish Lapland and spectacular room...
- 1 Natural Wonders There Are Two Meteor Showers This Month. Here’s How to Watch Them.
- 2 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village
- 5 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now