Top Attractions Along the Great Barrier Reef
Collected by Serena Renner , AFAR Contributor
Stretching more than 1400 miles, Australia's Great Barrier Reef is the largest living thing on Earth. There's a lot to do in that much territory. Here are 10 top experiences to get you started.
Mossman Gorge Rd, Syndicate QLD 4873, Australia
Join the indigenous guides at the Mossman Gorge Centre for a hosted Dreamtime walk through this spectacular canyon, starting with a traditional smoking ceremony to ward off evil spirits and finishing with bush tea and damper (bread). Along the...
Hamilton Island, Whitsundays QLD, Australia
The gateway to the Whitsunday Islands is world famous for its sophisticated collection of restaurants and hotels—Qualia Resort may have invented “barefoot luxury”—as well as nature experiences from hiking up Passage Peak to...
4 Skyrail Drive, Smithfield QLD 4878, Australia
Discover the world’s oldest living culture at Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Centre—the largest indigenous employer in Australia—where the Bulurru Story Waters Theatre transports visitors back 40,000 years with the Dreamtime...
Queensland 4805, Australia
Devastating coral bleaching events of 2016 and 2017 hit the northern and central stretches of the Great Barrier Reef the hardest, leaving some of the brightest corals blooming in the south. Plan a snorkeling or diving excursion around Lady...
- 1 COVID + Travel What Happens if You Get COVID While Traveling Abroad? Let Me Tell You—It Happened to Me
- 2 Air Travel What It Means When You Have “SSSS” on Your Boarding Pass
- 3 COVID + Travel We Reviewed the CDC-Approved COVID Home Tests for International Travel—Here’s What to Know
- 4 Travel Tips These Luggage Shipping Companies Will Get Your Bags to Your Destination Hassle-Free
- 5 Air Travel Free In-Flight Wi-Fi Is the Future (Ugh)