Top 5 Vancouver Island (At Sea)
Collected by Amanda Castleman , AFAR Local Expert
Alberni-Clayoquot C, BC V0R, Canada
Ancient rain forests flank the sandy beaches and rocky shores of this UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, including the tide-cooled, geothermal basking pools of Hot Springs Cove. Home to the Nuu-chah-nulth people, it also shelters eagles, wolves and whales...
Hanson Island, Mount Waddington A, BC, Canada
The 250 orcas of the northern resident community often hang out north of Vancouver Island. Unlike most killer whales, these gentle giants eat fish: primarily chinook salmon. They have distinctive white bellies and eye patches, and can reach up to...
British Columbia V0R 3A0, Canada
On a clear, cool day in June, my husband and I hiked to Schooner Cove, on the edge of Pacific Rim National Park in BC. The walk is an invigorating ramble up and down rustic wood-plank staircases built into gullies and across handmade boardwalks...
1426 Pacific Rim Hwy, Tofino, BC V0R 2Z0, Canada
Halfway up Vancouver Island’s west coast lies one of the world’s premier cold-water surf destinations: Tofino. When tree-hugging protestors poured into the fishing and logging hamlet in the 1980s, surfing gained momentum (rumor has it that Vietnam...
812 Wharf St, Victoria, BC V8W 1T3, Canada
Canada’s mildest climate surrounds this 80,000-person city—the province’s capital—with lush greenery year round. It sits on Vancouver Island’s craggy south end, anchored by two splendid structures: the neo-Baroque, blue-domed British Columbia...
- 1 History + Culture Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Travel News A Rare Super Blood Wolf Moon Will Be Visible Over America This Weekend
- 3 Packing Tips How to Pack a Suitcase
- 4 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign
- 5 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico