Top 5 Vancouver Island (At Sea)
Collected by Amanda Castleman, AFAR Local Expert
Alberni-Clayoquot C, BC V0R, Canada
Ancient rain forests flank the sandy beaches and rocky shores of this UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, including the tide-cooled, geothermal basking pools of Hot Springs Cove. Home to the Nuu-chah-nulth people, it also shelters eagles, wolves and whales...
Hanson Island, Mount Waddington A, BC, Canada
The 250 orcas of the northern resident community often hang out north of Vancouver Island. Unlike most killer whales, these gentle giants eat fish: primarily chinook salmon. They have distinctive white bellies and eye patches, and can reach up to...
British Columbia V0R 3A0, Canada
This reserve protects three separate national treasures: the spectacular Broken Group Islands, the 16-kilometer (10-mile) sandy beach of Vancouver Island’s Wickaninnish Bay and Canada’s legendary West Coast Trail. The 75-kilometer (47-mile) trail...
1426 Pacific Rim Hwy, Tofino, BC V0R 2Z0, Canada
Halfway up Vancouver Island’s west coast lies one of the world’s premier cold-water surf destinations: Tofino. When tree-hugging protestors poured into the fishing and logging hamlet in the 1980s, surfing gained momentum (rumor has it that Vietnam...
812 Wharf St, Victoria, BC V8W 1T3, Canada
Canada’s mildest climate surrounds this 80,000-person city—the province’s capital—with lush greenery year round. It sits on Vancouver Island’s craggy south end, anchored by two splendid structures: the neo-Baroque, blue-domed British Columbia...
- 1 Natural Wonders There Are Two Meteor Showers This Month. Here’s How to Watch Them.
- 2 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Holiday Travel Required Reading: 29 New Books for Every Type of Traveler
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village