Top 5 Seward
Collected by Amanda Castleman , AFAR Local Expert
Nearly 40 glaciers flow from lofty peaks down to the sea here, blanketing half the park in ice. But the rugged terrain isn’t the only draw. Orca whales and sea otters often cavort alongside the dayboats (far and away the best way to explore Kenai...
Harding Icefield, Alaska 99664, USA
One of Alaska’s most accessible glaciers, this behemoth spills from the 1,813-square-kilometer (700-square-mile) Harding Icefield. Reach its edge via a moderately strenuous, 3.9-kilometer (2.4-mile) roundtrip hike or just catch a glimpse...
301 Railway Ave, Seward, AK 99664, USA
Steller sea lions steal the show at this research facility, which doubles as a terrific educational attraction and also the state’s only permanent marine-mammal rehab site. The Steller males can top out at 3.3 meters (11 feet) in length and over...
Seward, AK 99664, USA
A 19-kilometer (12-mile) boat trip south of Seward allows visitors to watch for whales and puffins before arriving at the beauty of Resurrection Bay. This mountain-rimmed inlet—draped in hanging glaciers—may be familiar from the opening scene of...
12820 Old Exit Glacier Rd, Seward, AK 99664, USA
Cuddle adorable husky puppies at the homestead of the Seavey family, a group who has fielded three Iditarod wins (two of which were additionally notable for producing the youngest and oldest champions ever). Summer tour options range from...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May