Top 5 Seward
Collected by Amanda Castleman, AFAR Local Expert
31832 Herman Leirer Rd, Seward, AK 99664, USA
One of Alaska’s most accessible glaciers, this behemoth spills from the 1,813-square-kilometer (700-square-mile) Harding Icefield. Reach its edge via a moderately strenuous, 3.9-kilometer (2.4-mile) roundtrip hike or just catch a glimpse from the...
301 Railway Ave, Seward, AK 99664, USA
Steller sea lions steal the show at this research facility, which doubles as a terrific educational attraction and also the state’s only permanent marine-mammal rehab site. The Steller males can top out at 3.3 meters (11 feet) in length and over...
Seward, AK 99664, USA
A 19-kilometer (12-mile) boat trip south of Seward allows visitors to watch for whales and puffins before arriving at the beauty of Resurrection Bay. This mountain-rimmed inlet—draped in hanging glaciers—may be familiar from the opening scene of...
12820 Old Exit Glacier Rd, Seward, AK 99664, USA
Cuddle adorable husky puppies at the homestead of the Seavey family, a group who has fielded three Iditarod wins (two of which were additionally notable for producing the youngest and oldest champions ever). Summer tour options range from...
- 1 Travel News This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Natural Wonders The Brightest Meteor Shower of the Year Is Happening This Week
- 3 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Paris Riots
- 4 Travel News There’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now
- 5 Romance 9 of the World’s Most Romantic Winter Wonderlands