Top 5 Seward
Collected by Amanda Castleman, AFAR Local Expert
31832 Herman Leirer Rd, Seward, AK 99664, USA
One of Alaska’s most accessible glaciers, this behemoth spills from the 1,813-square-kilometer (700-square-mile) Harding Icefield. Reach its edge via a moderately strenuous, 3.9-kilometer (2.4-mile) roundtrip hike or just catch a glimpse from the...
301 Railway Ave, Seward, AK 99664, USA
Steller sea lions steal the show at this research facility, which doubles as a terrific educational attraction and also the state’s only permanent marine-mammal rehab site. The Steller males can top out at 3.3 meters (11 feet) in length and over...
Seward, AK 99664, USA
A 19-kilometer (12-mile) boat trip south of Seward allows visitors to watch for whales and puffins before arriving at the beauty of Resurrection Bay. This mountain-rimmed inlet—draped in hanging glaciers—may be familiar from the opening scene of...
12820 Old Exit Glacier Rd, Seward, AK 99664, USA
Cuddle adorable husky puppies at the homestead of the Seavey family, a group who has fielded three Iditarod wins (two of which were additionally notable for producing the youngest and oldest champions ever). Summer tour options range from...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 4 Festivals + Events 10 Secrets to Doing Oktoberfest Like a Local
- 5 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna