Top 5 Penneshaw
Collected by Amanda Castleman, AFAR Local Expert
52 Howard Dr, Penneshaw SA 5222, Australia
Opened in 1869, the Hog Bay School now houses this adorable pip-squeak of a museum, which has just three rooms. One explores old-time education in this remote rural community; the second details sealing and whaling; the third captures island life....
Howard Dr, Penneshaw SA 5222, Australia
Survey the coast and its magnificent wildlife aboard this 75-minute tour, departing at 9 a.m., noon and 3 p.m. Experienced captains and guides lead you straight to local critters, from seals to sea lions, wild dolphins and humpback whales,...
South Coast Rd, Flinders Chase SA 5223, Australia
At the west end of Kangaroo Island, this park is a sanctuary for endangered wildlife with some introduced to the island from the mainland. It’s also home to two geological monuments: Remarkable Rocks, naturally sculpted rock formations balanced on...
South Australia’s first lighthouse—an iconic whitewashed column—poses against splendid vistas of the Backstairs Passage. Watch for large schools of salmon in the waters there, as well as orcas, humpbacks and southern right whales. The park visitor...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now